- Available in a variety of thicknesses and sizes based on the footprint and need of each piece of equipment.
- Available species: Hardwood, Douglas Fir, Hemlock, and Birch.
- Aluminum, composite, specialty plywood, and other types of outrigger pads are available upon request.
Heavy equipment outrigging is designed to provide added stability for machinery that lifts or transfers heavy loads. But anyone who works with this equipment knows that outriggers are only as good as the ground they stand on. Under a load, they can often sink into sand or damp soil causing machinery to tip over and cargo to spill. This is obviously an expensive and dangerous outcome that should be avoided at all costs, so it’s considered best practice to use outrigger pads when operating this type of equipment on unstable surfaces.
Distribute the Weight
Outrigger pads are placed in-between the ground and the outrigger itself and disperse the machinery’s weight over a wider surface area. Industrial Matting can construct these pads from a variety of wood species in shapes and thicknesses that are customized to fit exact project specifications.
We also offer a more robust outrigger pad made from Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene or UHMW. The material’s extremely long molecular chains give these pads a number of benefits over traditional wood, including:
- Greater wear resistance, frictional coefficients, impact strength and corrosion resistance.
- Pad materials are resistant and anti-absorbent to chemicals, oils, and moisture, making UHMW the material of choice for applications subjected to caustic compounds, rigorous cleaning solvents, or continuous moisture.
- High abrasion resistance that prevents gouging, slipping, scuffing, and scraping.
- Consistent integrity even at extremely low temperatures.
- Pad materials will not rot and provide easy cleaning when necessary.
Outrigger Pad Specifications
Our UHMW outrigger pads are available in the following specifications:
Thickness: 1” or 2” depending on required equipment support.
Color: Safety Yellow
Handles: 3/16” aircraft-grade galvanized wire rope placed into the thickness of the pad to allow protection from wear. Handles provide easy removal from truck storage departments and ground placement.
Surface: Roughed to minimize a slippery surface in rain or snow. No other manufacturer provides a multi-directional, anti-slip surface like ours.
Pad Shape: We keep all the material in the pad to allow maximum surface contact. Only our
edges are rounded for easy removal from soft ground conditions.
Sizes: We can provide any size requested and in any quantities.
- Examples sizes: 18”x18”, 22”x22”, 24”x24”, 30”x30”, 36”x36”, 48”x48”
Max Loading Capacity: 1” pad – 60,000 lbs. 2” Pad – 95,000 lbs.
Weight: Lightweight, (22”x22”x1” pad = 15 lbs.) (22”x22”x2” pad = 30 lbs.)
Because of the unique nature of the UHMW material, Industrial Matting offers a lifetime warranty on all pads, so long as they’re used to these recommended specifications.
Call Industrial Matting Today
Outrigger Pads are a tool every heavy-machinery operator should have in their toolbox. If you’re interested in learning more about our UHMW pads or our traditional wood pads, contact us today at (888) 543-MATS or, you can fill out our contact page.
Our team has the most hands-on field experience in the industry, and that knowledge is built into every outrigger pad we make. Rest assured, your pads will act as a reliable tool for years to come.